Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Getting man pages to work on Tiger

I only recently found out why when I execute,

>man man

I get the error, "No manual entry for man".

It's not because the manual pages aren't installed, but because for some reason the environment variable $MANPATH has been set by default without a sensible set of paths. To fix this problem simply add the following line to your .tcshrc file:

unsetenv $MANPATH

This will cause man to try to figure out sensible places to look for the manual pages.
For more info see the "Search path for manual pages" section of the man manpage.

This is based on my experience of Tiger with the developer tools installed. A friend reports that this problem isn't seen under OS X 10.3.

2 Comments:

Blogger ugli-stix said...

Very useful - always wondered why this didn't work. I think that you put the $ on the unsetenv command by accident?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Brother Purple said...

Works with and without for me.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker